PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 10th May 2005, 17:53
Martin Alder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one say that failures never occur! Just how often and how bad . The question that keeps coming up is do you get affected when it is a normal operation and you don't notice any contamination. The one you have described you could clearly notice, so falls well within a failure case scenario and inhalation of smoke is not good anytime, no matter what it is , including cigarettes!

Obvious smoke is abnormal, hence the response, checklists etc. Bearing in mind that cabin fires and electrical fires ar far more frequent, the smoke is also toxic, then the probability is then that most will be more likely to have ill effects from that than engine oil. Does not make the effects any less, but you have to put into perspective the risk of smoke at any time on any flight and smoke fumes from engine defects as a percentage of those.

Whether you are cabin crew or not did not enter my mind.
I cannot comment on the state of your health, that is for you and your doctor to discuss. Of great interest generally in these events is what were the effects on the range of people on-board? There frequently seems to be quite a variation between people to an event and getting to the bottom of that is another urgent requirement, as it will probably affcet the solutions needed. Was that the case in your event?

ps -400 have looked , but still can't find it, send me a link

- I did read it some time ago. However, it still begs the question as how on a broad basis why some had a great number of events, which averaged over the numbers who had them is about 15, but why no one else and why such a concentration? If we ask why, then so will someone else. The CAA did try to make sense of the survey, but the data was incomplete such that it was not possible to draw valid conclusions. That is not to say that those people did not have an event or otherwise, merely that the data was unable to be used in any meaningful way to assist. As the number of ASR\'s or MOR\'s fell well short of the 1500 , then it is unfortunate that more of those which would have supported a better analysis were not filed. That is why we have spent some effort in getting people to report things officialy, so as to get data that can support the case.

Hence the desire to get a survey done that does provide the correct data. With that you have a case, without you don't. As this argument is now circular, no more comments from me on this forum. It has hopefully not been too boring for those of you who stumbled on it by mistake! private messages gratefully received and keep on reporting or we don't get the data!

Last edited by Martin Alder; 10th May 2005 at 20:34.