PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tafs and flying today
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2005, 13:40
kookabat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to weigh in to this particular debate... I've recently got my PPL, only have about 80 hours in the logbook. Had a shocker of a time weather wise in getting this far, I cancelled a LOT of navs based on the forecast when, of course, it cleared up later on in the day. Then again, there were other times when it certainly DID NOT clear up.
On a few occasions, while hanging around the flying school because the weather was crap and I wasn't going anywhere, a number of Cherokees from a particular flying school at which a fair few of my mates were learning popped up and appeared over the nearby escarpment - with, as I later found out, those mates of mine usually as solo students on board. They all had around the same amount of experience as me at the time, so if they could do it then why didn't I go?
The answer is that they were (and still are) training for CPLs and bigger and better things. I'm not. I fly purely for the hell of it. If it isn't fun, there's no point. I have precisely no commercial pressures on me completing a flight or not. And that's the way I intend it to stay.

It's always better to be down here, wishing you were up there, than up there, wishing you were down here!

Adam