PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Journalism
Thread: Journalism
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2002, 17:44
ajamieson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. There has been some abysmal reporting masquerading as good journalism about aviation in recent weeks.. .. .But I'm a little troubled by some of the comments here, which strike me as unwarranted.. .. .A journalist myself, I have risked my life in places such as Kosovo and the West Bank to bring people (yes, 'the' people) facts about the things that matter in the world. Governments and their agencies don't hand out information like sweets. You wouldn't know 10 per cent of what you do know about world affairs if it were not for journalists on the ground.. .. .Perhaps you could explain to the family of Sander Thoenes, the British journalist killed in East Timor, why his imagination extended beyond his integrity or why his contribution to 'cr*ppy' newspapers was so worthless.. .. .Before I fall off my high moral perch, I would add that there has been some very unprofessional reporting about aviation in recent weeks. I make it my business to educate reporters away from stereotypes and inaccuracies, particularly when writing about pilots and planes. The aviation industry, including airline PR people, has a role to play in this effort.. .. .P.S. Chocksaway. John Sergeant asked the question which prompted Margaret Thatcher to effectively commit political suicide on live television. Her answer marked one of the biggest turning points in British history in the past 50 years. If that was the high point of my career, I'd be very happy. Oh, and he wasn't there by luck; he was there because he had the good professional judgement to be where the real story would break. Aviation is not the only industry where skill and quick thinking are crucial.