PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GOM - yet another ditching
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2005, 12:45
flyer43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the US, it's perfectly legal to fly a single-engine helicopter at night, across cities, with no IFR instrumentation at all
We have an entirely different philosophy than European countries on this and many other issues. That won't change. If you want changes, then you'll have to come over here and enforce your will, and I predict that will be resisted strongly.
Gomer, the point has nothing to do with regulations and the law or whatever you want to call it. The whole point is using common sense and giving yourself a fighting chance to deliver your valuable payload and yourself in one piece, without getting them wet. And as for the argument that not many of them drown when a single engine machine ditches ........................
As for speed and efficiency in offshore operations. I spent many years operating with a Bell 212 conducting long shuttles. The paperwork was designed to help streamline the whole operation, plus we had offshore radio stations with recorders that helped to keep the score as well. Extra life jackets were available at all locations so that there was a minimal delay between landing, deplaning and reloading more animated freight. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be doing the same job in a single of any sort, even if the inter platform payloads warented their use.

212man makes a very valid point regarding the difference between legal and sensible.
Previous comments I and many others this side of the pond have been taken as mud slinging between the FAA and CAA requirements. It's nothing of the sort, this is only about using your common sense and providing a safe and efficient service for your clients..