PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GOM - yet another ditching
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2005, 23:51
leading edge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL

I agree that Hippolite has maybe painted the GOM with a broad brush but makes a valid point that contributors to this thread have implied that twin operation are complicated and it has been implied that there is minimal paperwork for SE operations. I am sure that the truth lies in the middle ground somewhere.

Regarding equipment, I believe that the company you work for has many Bell 407s and Bell 206L aircraft which don't have a VSI. Sure, you can mandate a current instrument rating but it is still not enough when the aircraft are not equipped with what most pilots would term basic instrumentation.

It is also acknowledged that now, companies have put into place adverse weather policies and procedures, but it was only after a very bad weather related accident in 2003. It should have happened sooner.

Your statement that a well equipped appropriately sized twin is used for crew change operations is also true, but shouldn't you add that its often flown with one way fuel and at max all up weight with no performance calculations, no reject area at the heliport therefore making its "twin" status questionable at best?

Things are, from what you have said, improving in the GOM, lets hope that they continue to improve...they still have some way to go to match other places where helicopters are operated.