PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed camera fines to fund "charity"!
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2005, 20:17
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs down

I can see this being a 'Hot Topic'!
"Speed cameras not revenue making machines". etc etc

I would see a lot of public resentment and a fall in donations, if it were known that air ambulances were being financed by speed cameras.

Figures from todays D.Mail, 42% of all drivers have points. 48% of drivers aged 41 to 50 have points.(That'll be me then!!)

I don't know, but perhaps someone knows what age group is more prolific in donating to air amulances. If you are going to do it, do it. But I would suggest putting the collection tins in the store cupboard. All well and good if Northumbria gets so much money from their partnerships cameras, but what about the other units around the rest of the country?

What I don't get here, is the managers of the Northumberland & Cumbria Safety Camera Partnerships say they support this. Is their job Road Safety or Air Ambulance funding?

Perhaps they could spend their time suggesting that helicopters be sited near to accident blackspots for a quicker reaction time, instead of attempting to catch us all out at non speed related accident blackspots.
Bigger question, Why doesnt the treasury finance Air Ambulances anyway?

IMHO, a shot in both feet on this one.
The Home Office said it could not comment on the issue until after the general election.
And the comment from the Home Office is.............

SS