PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part time Aero Eng Degrees
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2001, 06:25
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

WenWe,

The problem with distance learning or "on-line" courses is that they cannot cater for the laboratory work that is an essential part of an engineering degree. That is why I graduated with an Economics (i.e. management oriented) degree. I couldn't afford to stop working in order to study so distance learning (University of London External Programme) was the only option.

The brain-stretching effects of such under-graduate study are beneficial even in those engineering applications in which I still get involved. Nevertheless, I'd welcome any opportunity to study engineering at degree level without having to give up work - so yes Ghengis, I would be interested in an opportunity to study for an engineering degree by part time study. The entry level should simply be the university general entrance requirements. That is, "A" levels, equivalents such as HNC or, in the case of "mature cndidates," individual assessment. Under that last heading I especially believe that a university ought to give due credit to those who have studied in their own time for AME licences. In my own case London University knew nothing about the AME Licence and were therefore unable to give any credit for it. As to the level of study, there ought to be provision for graduates to progress to higher degrees, the University of London External Programme allows study all the way to PhD if that's your goal.

Through difficulties to the cinema