PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part time Aero Eng Degrees
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2001, 01:04
Genghis the Engineer

Post Part time Aero Eng Degrees

Some time ago we had an ongoing discussion about the (lack of) availability of part time study for LAE's or technicians who would like to gain a BEng or MEng and migrate into the more "white collar" end of Engineering (or I suppose pilots who decide they'd like to progress their knowledge). We pretty much came to the conclusion that a few people liked the idea but no University seemed to be offering anything of use, at least in the UK.

I broached this with a friendly University department, and the reaction I got was "what a good idea, why did we never think of that". Disregarding the obvious quote from Douglas Adams, I'm interested, purely for the good of the profession, in talking to them about this and seeing if anything can be generated. (Okay, being self-interested, it'll do my professional cred no harm if anything comes out of it and I'm seen to have been a part of it, but frankly I get p*&^*d off with the them-and-us that prevails in the profession these days.)

So, all you chaps and chapesses out there, I'd be grateful for your opinions about...

(1) If such a thing were available, how interested would you be?
(2) I suspect that minimum entrance would be an HNC - is this low enough or would "foundation courses" be needed as well?
(3) Are you looking at MEng courses towards a CEng, or lower courses towards IEng?
(4) Any other bright ideas?
(5) Any management Engineers out there who think their companies might pay for their people to do such a thing?
(6) Is this Genghis wasting his time down a blind alley?

G