PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2005, 17:19
TOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blenderpilot, h500

Blenderpilot, I cannot DISAGREE with you more!!!! I have flown EVERY, YES EVERY 480/480B in the UK. I have taught just about every owner, past and present, including the 480B CAA certification flight test on behalf of the CAA. The 480/480B is without ANY doubt , the smoothest, most forgiving , will not bite you back helicopter in the world!!!!!! . With regard to operating costs, yes the H500 can be reasonable, but the 480 range is cheaper!! take fuel consumption for example, most 500's use 26/28 galls per hour, especially if fitted withC20 R2 engine. The 480's rarely use more than 21/22 gallons per hour. Now just compare that to a modern R44 using 18 gallons of avgas per hour at £1 litre, I reckon the 480 is at least 50% cheaper!!!!!!!!!. Yes 500's may go a bit faster and climb a bit faster, but try flying them in the vicinity of a few hills in 25kt winds and see how comfortable the ride is!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 480 quality of ride is by far superior to the 500, R44 and Jet Ranger. Take a look in the 480 flight manual "This aircraft has been proven to be fully controlable in winds of 40 MPH"!!!!! Take a look in the B206 flight manual "This aircraft has been proven to be fully controlable in winds of 20 MPH"!!!!! -- EXACTLY HALF!!!!!!!!!!!! Close the throtle on a H500 or R44, how long before you die? Come with me in a ENSTROM 280 and I will shut the throttle for 15 seconds before I have to lower the collective! Any R22 or R44 pilot want to compete with me??? What about low G situations? mast bumping etc? I could go on. Speak to ENSTROM owners they all love them,. Blenderpilot, I dont believe you operated your 480 in the UK? I suggest you change your maintenance company asap and get yourself some good instuctors. Just before you say it, thats just my points of view, I am not connected to ENSTROM or any other sales agency, I JUST FLY THEM!!!