PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is Rolling G dangerous?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2005, 13:39
Jetstream Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirRabbit - while I agree that sims are only as accurate as their programmed responses, I do find unusual attitude recoveries a good thing to do. I was lucky, I had aerobatic and very comprehensive UA training. Most of my contemporaries do not. In seeing a recovery from an unusual attitude in a sim, while not perhaps 100% accurate, is still valuable.

Seeing a UA and then discussing it is very different to seeing it and recovering from it. When I tried it in a 757 sim, I was very surprised to see how hard I pulled to get out of a dive. I was also surprised to see what my follow pilot did. Now that we have had a chance to actually DO it, while not 100% accurate it gave us some tactile feedback which you never get from discussion. It also highlighted the fact that light aircrat are a bit different - rudder mainly, but also in response. The basics are the same, the response is different. JF's response of "good grief" is alone a good enough reason to actually try it, while bearing in mind the limitations of the machine.

Try and spin a sim and whatever it does, the aeroplane will be different - even if it is an all singing all dancing development sim.