PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 9th May 2005, 01:19
sky330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To barit1,

What model bus (A330?),
A340 !, A330 is a twin so one engine-out is a completly different issue.

And even if there were consequent damage, that is an economic issue, not a safety one
Agreed fully and based on the information from this forum, whitch is most probably not all the picture, I would have done the same considering safety issue ONLY.

But economic issue is something you should take into account as a captain, even if obviously safety have priority.
Not quite sure, that the replacement cost of a main bearing at home base is lower than replacing/repairing the engine with lower damage at a main american station.

Agreed that in this situation, you have plenty of time to solve that with your maintenance before taking a decision.

I will check with our maintenance guy, strange that we have a limitation and not Boeing. The design of these engines is not so different.
It is maybe a company restriction.
As it is in limitation chapter of AOM, I assumed it was Airbus (more GE in the case being) limitation, but I may be wrong, and it could be internal company, I will check.