PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tafs and flying today
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2005, 20:04
dmjw01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are plenty more good days for pleassure flying which are more enjoyable than dodging CBs, hail, winds etc
IMHO, that's nonsense!

Obviously I'm not suggesting that you grossly exceed your limits, but if you use your understanding of the weather, and you think about your alternatives, and you're constantly watching the showers and thinking about which direction they're moving (they always follow the wind), it is perfectly safe to fly on days like today.

In fact, by ruling out these days you're missing out on some of the best visibility (a direct consequence of an unstable atmosphere), and you're missing out on seeing the awesome, powerful beauty of the weather.

I used to rely on having a carefully planned plog with precise headings and timings on it, but I've now learnt the important skill of being able to make up your plan as you go along. Try it on a day when the weather is non-threatening: go up and fly around with no pre-flight route planning at all, just estimate headings. Prove to yourself that it works, then you can use that skill to steer around showers. It's easy!

I think some may be getting or sending the wrong message.
If you mean me, why not say so?

The message I'm trying to put across is that if the Metform 215 says "ISOL" CB's, combined with nice 30km+ visibility, you'll be able to avoid the CB's by the required margin if you keep yourself flexible. I don't think anyone's suggesting flying through or under the darn things, or even clipping the edge of one!