PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWSFLASH - possible mid-air explosion over Stratford, NZ
Old 8th May 2005, 11:36
Go You Good Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My condolences to the families and the Airwork team. This is certainly a terrible tragedy and has a huge impact on not just the aviation industry in NZ.

In times like this we should be factual and only provide correct information when making posts.

The information that CAR256 provided is incorrect. A steady light indicates wheelwell or airconditioning duct overheat situation.

Remember there are two seperate thermal switches or heat sensors in two different locations. Turning the associated bleed air off and lowering the gear is what the AFM prescibes. You should not associate the generator with this particular indication.

The flashing light indicates a wing leading edge bleed air line failure or an overheated generator wire. In this particular situation there is only one heat sensor located close to where the generator cables, other wiring and bleed air lines supplying the ice protection and air con systems are. In this case there is a need to turn off the generator and the bleed air but not lowering the gear. Please refer to AFM 3-14...

A very well known training provider in the Northern hemisphere also recommend to monitor the generator load prior to opening the relay as this could give you a quick indication.

CAR256...if your information was from a company QRH then I would certainly be sending a few tech questions towards your training department!!

My post was to provide correct information and by no means to make an assumption on what caused this terrible accident. I will leave that to the experts that are trained in this area.

Regards to all you Metro drivers down under, hopefully time will tell and we will all be the wiser.

May they R.I.P