PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you really truly want to build a better helicopter?
Old 8th May 2005, 00:05
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must admit to howling with frustration on reading this post! This means you are juggling three concepts, with a reduced chance of any seeing the light of day!!!

Please see the following in the constructive way in which the criticism is intended:

I'm afraid i really don't agree with a lot of the thoughts on this one. Lateral stability will be improved, but longitudinal stability will still need continous pilot input in hover - unless you build a 4 rotor version. Gyro augmentation (Lockheed) sounds much simpler, and really would work much better. You have introduced a drive shaft, with catastrophic consequences of failure - which could result from either gearbox or couplings. Cost and practicality (like hangar storage) become unreasonable.

Regarding aerodynamics, i really do see disadvantages over the intermesher. For a start the downwash velocity in interleaving region will definately not be additive, since downwash from one rotor reduces AOA on the other. You now have a pylon which causes both hover download and/or foward flight drag, even if you do put a nice NACA floating fairing on it (which limits the structural cross section). Retreating blade tip stall becomes an issue again, unless the "wing" is producing lift, as shown in:

http://www.unicopter.com/1372.html

Compared to the compactness of say an R22 (which would be a doddle to fly with lockheed gyro augmentation), or even Unicopter, this looks like Frankensteins monster! Sorry Dave, i just don't like it.

I think you really do need to start to mock-up some of these ideas in 3D cad at least. Then you will start to see the packaging and structural headaches that you may be making for yourself. If i were a heli company, listening to a presentation, i would need to see some aerodynamic and structural simulations to convince me to back this design. Next you'll want to tilt the rotors ...

On further consideration: Dave I think what you need to do is to invest in 3D cad so you can play around with the crossover between intermesher and interleaver. I appreciate that you are trying to address concerns over rotor clash, but feel that you have probably gone too far in this concept. The advantage of a good 3D cad package is you can repostion rotors at will, until you feel the thing looks right. Then go on to the calculation/simulation stage.

Mart

Last edited by Graviman; 8th May 2005 at 13:29.