PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is Rolling G dangerous?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2005, 18:19
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JF “Good Grief”; yes my first reaction, but on reflection we should not be too concerned. In my experience few civil aircraft are flown at or even near their limiting ‘g’. The current techniques for upset recovery focus on the avoidance of rudder to pick up a wing, thus the aileron input. This also dispels the myth that rudder was the only way to pick up a wing after a stall.

Milit makes a valid theoretical point, but I understand that Va provides some load protection irrespective of the applied ‘g’. I recall the need to fly a most unpleasant flight test of recovering from a nose low rolling upset at Md/Vd.

The stick force per ‘g’ characteristics for most civil aircraft is such that pilots are very reluctant to apply the maximum load unless they are very frightened. In such situations they are most likely to bend the aircraft anyway. Another aspect is that few civil aircraft have an accelerometer.

All of the above is probably a good vindication of the Airbus philosophy of a fully protected aircraft.