PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which airline is more secure
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2005, 17:22
fractional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eurydice

You got the answer from EY777, and remember things are not better elsewhere, i.e. AI, UL, etc.. Some of their drivers are type-rated on acft flown (or to be flown) by EK, QR and EY.
If no "stops" are put in place unilaterally by the EK, EY, QR or GF which has been the case many times before, it's "natural" to see all these "drivers" wanting a share of the pie. This move was and is still sometimes considered discriminatory and criticised for by the affected individuals.
I also agree that it will be a matter of time before GF departs AUH and MCT eventually, though slower. The Omani Ruler is an old timer, on his own right now, but still a GF ally.
GF may shrink but it won't disappear into mediocrity. They have restructured and as I mentioned in another post elsewhere, they are now better prepared to play the game of sound (???) competition whenever it comes into REAL play now that the European and Australasian operators are crying foul becasue of the state run/backed Middle Eastern counterparts.
GT may continue since there is a market for it. IX and G9 are already players and Jazeera will come in soon. It'll be a matter of time before EK gets one too and the Saudis create one of their own because of the huge foreign population in the country.
One has to remember that except (in a way) for KU and SV, everyone else has a big chunk of the so-called thru-traffic. As an example, how many daily flights do QR have out of AUH, BAH and DXB? Is all this traffic bound for DOH to stay?
The job security is a very subjective matter. It depends where one comes from.
It would be interesting to have the opinion of the National pilots of the different operators and whether the pay is ok. Besides the recent EK heralded 25% pay rise which is a clear discriminatory move (in those terms), they have a different pay deal and they know very well the difference and the dynamics of pay package (if I may call it package) and the cost of living. One of the big difference here may be the education expenses since the Nationals are supposed to have free education.
Regardless, it should be interesting to have them in the debate.
Thanks and safe flying.