PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD to issue "veterans badge" to service leavers.
Old 6th May 2005, 15:18
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CarPete, in a way you are right but unfortunately there are a lot like that out there. I was in Malta about 6 years ago. There was an old boy, in blazer, with medals, standing, misty-eyed, underneath the Submarine War Memorial overlooking Selima Creek.

He was obviously paying his respects to dead comrades. He looked sad that no one seemed to recognise either who he was or what he was doing.

I know another old boy who also spent many a day sitting at the bottom of Selima Creek when he was a lad. Now he has lots more memories etc so does not have to fall back on past glories. Never-the-less he still remembers them.

You may be lucky, you may never become old and forgotten but others are less lucky than you. I know one old salt who felt as you did until he happened to meet, 25 years later, the man who pulled him from the Channel, naked, freezing, covered in oil, and just about to die. Now he remembers both survivors and the dead.