PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation (APP)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2005, 13:30
9mm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grants, You make a very good point.

The only guys I know that regret choosing the integrated route were those that didn’t make the most of it. Not making the most of it meant that they were bottom of the pile when it came to being put forward for interviews. Six weeks later there was a new crop of guys finishing their MCC ready for the school to cream off the best and recommend them for interviews, pushing earlier guys even further down any list the school may or may not have! I reckon they do have a list even if it is only scribbled on the back of an envelope stuffed in the liaison man's back pocket!

If they had gone down the modular route not only would they have saved (a lot of) cash they would have far better results both in flying and ground school. They would also not have a bitter taste in their mouths. If you choose integrated you have to be able to give it your all. There can be many reasons for not being able to do so which have nothing to do with raw ability or determination. As I have written in another post on this forum you have to look at the best option that suits your own specific personal circumstances.

Also as Scroggs has said above, and to repeat, do not get blinkered when considering the viability of either different FTOs or different routes to that very chilled ATPL and certainly do not get taken in with the marketing hype of a school. The most powerful selling tool of any FTO is the publicising of previous students who are now in F/O positions. Never forget that for those that have succeeded in landing a job there will always be those that have not and may not for a good while yet. That said there are over 90% of Oxford APP grads that now have jobs although some took longer than others to land their first break. Although there seems to be more new-hires than a year or so ago, I personally think it is unrealistic that Oxford’s 90% employment rate can be maintained.

Pherbert, My advice to you regarding the integrated route (I know you ask about the APP but I think the same applies to all integrated courses) is that you should go for it if, and only if, you can tick all of the following boxes:
  • Raw ability
  • Unshakable determination
  • Absolutely no doubt that you will be able to give it your all for the duration
  • Willing to make (possibly big) sacrifices along the way
  • Integrated suits your circumstances
  • You accept that even if you meet all of the above criteria you will still be rolling a dice
If you do have all of the above and do decide to go for it you will have sixty or seventy thousand reasons to make it work!!

Good Luck!!

9mm

Last edited by 9mm; 6th May 2005 at 15:35.