PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 6th May 2005, 10:52
FullWings

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Earl,
My own view is that it was a really bad judgment call by the whole crew.
Fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions.
Engine shutdown/failure at the beginning of a long leg such as this should have been a return.
If this failure happened after several hours into the flight then yes continue after all other possible problems have been considered.
Why? What's the difference in having several hours elapse? In ultra long range operations, you could still have 13hrs+ to go at that point. What makes you think the crew in question didn't continue "after all other possible [likely] problems have been considered."?
I have been reading the post for quite some time and even had discussions with the managment of my present company.
I was told that any pilot that did this here would be terminated immediately.
Well, as you seem to be Gulf-based (according to your profile), that comes as no surprise. It sounds like "looking at me in a funny way" could lead to losing your job down there...
This is stretching the regs too far.
No stretching required, really. "In-flight Continuation" is an approved procedure.
Maybe BA has a different view.
Yes, they do. The management are fully supportive of the crew in question. The CAA don't seem to have a problem, either.