PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD to issue "veterans badge" to service leavers.
Old 6th May 2005, 06:34
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Buoy 15 ever on 201?

Safety_Helmut, the debate sems a bit two-sided at the moment but exlechie has just stirred the grey matter.

My Dad let me play with his medals. They kicked around the toybox for a while, then they didn't. He always wore the ribbons however as it was part of his uniform. Not only servicemen got medals and not only servicemen wear medals. Medals are worn with uniform by many people, the Corps of Commisionaires for one.

Then my F in Law also let his children play with them. About 25 years ago he had to buy a new set of medals. A truism here but exlechie is not quite right that you will talk about it. From my observations seems that WW II did not talk about their experiences to their sons but are starting to tell their grandsons.

I think it is because they expect their sons to learn about it from its nearness but, years later, they realise that memories are fading and that grandsons should be told. I think this accounts for the number of 'experience' exhibits at museums.

My aunt treasured her brother's war time memorabilia tht he kept for the 35 years after the war, Anzac cap badge, buttons, flashes, medals and box, and two .303 rounds, with little brass parangs set in and buttons in place of the rims, as paper knives.

No I side with exlechie on this, keep your medals safe, you may wish to give them to your grandchildren. Children under 20 don't even know about GW 1 or the Cold War.

My studes only 20 years after the 6-day war had no idea about that dust up, a seminal moment in military operations.