PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 6th May 2005, 03:51
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Snoop

I don't have time now to read all of the remarks.

If any four-engine jet, now down to three engines continues flight out over the ocean, for example, and then lost a second engine, would the electrical and pneumatic demands (although drifting down to a much lower altitude) then become a likely problem? If the APU starts then maybe the two-engine operation (no hydraulic RAT available-but loads for electric hydraulic pumps also a bit higher?) has about the same level of safety as an ETOPs plane with both engines+APU running well? With less fuel range down low, and possibly with more icing accumulating on the wings and tail, requiring a reduction in available max continuous thrust? I'm curious as to what the divert airports' conditions could be during winter over the Atlantic, even the northwestern or northeastern Pacific with minimum required visibility/ceiling or max crosswinds, even on a dry runway. My only turbofan flying has been in twin-engine domestic planes, but am glad that we don't face diverting into a Siberian, western Canadian or Icelandic airport in January.

These questions might apply to various four-engine operations, whether a BA 744, South African, Cathay, Lufthansa A-340, or a US C-5 Galaxy.

One of my 'comrades' referred to an incident with a L-1011. The mechanic/engineer had forgotten to put all three oil caps back on the engines.

Nowadays, any mechanic can service the oil on only one engine

As Wino stated, a US NASA report is also used if a pilot made a mistake, or was simply involved in some unusual incident. The company or FAA can always find something that does not quite comply with a perfect series of checklists, SOPs, AIM, FARs, "well-memorized" data from the jumble of airport and enroute NOTAMS etc. One of our pilots was caught in a "sporty" (as they would have said at Air America over the Laotian Plain of Jars) microburst event and after diverting, he forgot to check the tiny NASAP box on the safety report. This caused him some serious problems with the FAA. Before his flight even had the cabin door closed during departure, an old lady fell OFF of the jetway! And the dispatch, almost cryptically, had a small printed remark on the Flight Release which only said "call dispatch". There was no remark about possible weather at the destination on his release. Somehow, during the lady's accident etc, he forgot to call-another legal trap. Why did dispatch say nothing about growing bad weather?

Last edited by Ignition Override; 6th May 2005 at 04:21.