PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Service?
Thread: What Service?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2005, 21:54
BigginAgain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toppam

How could you suggest I had disappeared? Just haven't had a chance to check back for the last 24 hours!

In starting this thread, I wanted to find out whether what happened was considered normal by those involved.

Thank you all for getting involved in such a grown-up way, I did not expect the volume of information and it has certainly opened my eyes about the way in which the civvies do business (as did the original incident).

I do not want to go through all the points raised, as you all seem to have been doing quite nicely, but the most recent posts deserve a response to complete the picture.

Talla Radar. Thank you for confirming you were the controller - it obviously adds weight to your and other posts from your colleagues. I think you are right to point to the MDAs leading people to expect that the mil aircraft will not operate elsewhere, but they still need to transit from places like Coningsby and Leeming to the 613 complex. Mostly F3s want to do this at ML, but Hawks prefer higher (bringing them into confliction with the UARs) and the Typhoon wants to go higher still (normally over the top of most civvy traffic!). Also, the South MDAs get booked up by the Americans forcing Brit Mil aircraft into the Borders.

Sorry Balix, but I think there needs to be a rethink on the status of traffic on UARs if it descends. I have no problem keeping clear, but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a call.

The data block thing is interesting. I can confirm that the ASACS does not have a readout on the tube of the destination as described by Ayrprox. The other thing that Ayrprox mentioned was about us calling you about height blocks, then not getting anywhere near you. We do not choose what height block to offer the F3s, they declare it and we simply pass it on. I am told it is necessary to declare a block of SL to FL350 to force the Navs not to cheat when they are looking for the targets! I caution against expecting our fighters not to use the full block now that the mighty Typhoon is in town!

As it is a voting day, anyone want to suggest whether I leave this thread up? Or should I bin it?

BA