PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 5th May 2005, 21:13
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411A.

The US NASA report form is light years apart from the UK Mandatory Occurrence Report system. They may well have been intended to 'serve the same purpose' - but cultural differences prevent any chance of that.

Here's a clue to the difference - you tell me how many NASA reports were filed in the month of January 2005 and I'll tell you how many UK MORS were filed.

We'll then correct for the different number of public transport operations, US and UK. If we have 'similar programs', you'd expect the difference to be no more than, say, 5%. I'll put my money on a difference of 90%.

Now why is this? In the US no one files a NASA report unless they know they are 100% blameless, and personally fire proof. In the UK the MORs are full of 'Oops, screw up there, never mind, but I need to file an MOR'.

It's never a problem to the reporter because the UK doesn't (yet) operate on a blame culture.

As I said, NASA Reports and Mandatory Occurrence Reports, light years apart. You find me a UK or European pilot who's had his license pulled because he simply misheard a radio call, and I'll change my mind.

There may be something in this difference which 'allowed' the BA crew to, quite rightly IMO, continue the flight.