PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Purchasing and operating your own helicopter
Old 5th May 2005, 18:11
Jonp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to add my own bit in here

I have my own business and run an R44. Most of the time its for me and a couple of other staff around the UK, from site to site. If all you need to do is get there quickly (I did 9.30 from Milton Keynes to Plymouth, then up to the Bristol area today and was back home before 5pm) then a heli is for you. My time costs money.

The upside is that I estimate I get there about 3 times quicker than by car, depending on route and location of landing, which means I can fit more business in in a day.

Downside is that the weather is often appauling, so you tend to push the limit a little, although a few terrifying experiences make humble you and teach you laods (if they don't kill you). The pressure is alwas on in business to get there. You have to really be strict with yourself in particular with poor weather.

The other issues are always cost - whatever you think its going to be - double it at least. The maintenance is a;ways at the wrong time, and the movements to get it there are a pain.

Finally, you allways have clients that think you are charging too much and are too rich becasue you jave a heli. That is boll**cks - if you have a heli - YOUR ARE POOR

Jon P