PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEC's at EK
Thread: DEC's at EK
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2005, 14:43
MR8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation B777 upgrade or DEC

I know this question has been around a few months, but I can't find a topic spend on it, and I would first like to have some opinions and rumours before posting it to TCAS's 'rumour buster' (which hasn't been updated for a month now.. no rumours I guess )

How will EK get enough Captains on the B777?

I don't have any 'correct' numbers, only go by published lists and staff numbers, so I would ask you guys to correct me...

I reckon every B777 needs about 9 crews to operate.
We currently have (including the last 3 B777-300ER) 23 B777's

203 CPT (including 10 DEC's)
200 F/O (including guys still in training)

For the next years, we'll get 1 B777 per month, ie 12/year, ie 108 Captains needed on B777 per year.

Looking at the staff numbers for the F/O's, out of 200, 61 have been here for less then a year, 30 will be F/O for life. Consider that EVERY guy left is ok for command requirements, will complete the upgrade and no resignations, that means that the pool for suitable commands on B777 will be dry in EXACTLY 1 year from now...

Million dollar question: Where will we get the remaining Captains??

Either we allow F/O's from the Airbus sector to jump to the B777 for commands or we need (read: EK management has another excuse for) DEC's to operate these Boeings.

Would it be possible for an Airbus F/O to jump ship as F/O, thus becoming B777 F/O in order to get the command on B777? Even if they require at leat one year on type before possible command, it would be a very good alternative for guys with less then 2 years in the company, and getting a sure shot at command after 3 years in the company...

My opinion is: let the F/O's do the upgrade on whatever fleet upgrades are available on; if an external DEC without rating can do it, our quality in house F/O's, often with previous Boeing experience, can surely do it..

Comments please...