PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would the selection of wing anti ice affect the stall speed?
Old 5th May 2005, 10:45
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Supposing aircraft with underslung engines the thrust is offset to CoG and
and somewhat compensates the aerodynamic moment (nose down pitch) of the wing. Thus less downward force needed on the horizontal stab./rudder. And less lift required on the wing to compensate.

Also upward directed thrust line reduces the amount of lift required on the wing.

On tail moutned engines I do not know but just by the looks of it (MD80) the thrust line does not go through CoG either. So the effect will be there as well even if it were in opposite direction.

Now bleed demand for WAI is rather significant and reduces the thrust provided by the engines unless the total power output is increased accordingly. Definitely valid under max / idle thrust conditions and with hard-linked moving throttles.

So, does on does not WAI affect the thrust output in your case ?

Does thrust provided have an effect on the wing lift requirement?

Does the wing lift requirement, as opposed to total lift, influence the stalling speed ?

I am too lazy to think any harder now but if the answer is triple yes, all you need to do is to elaborate on the plus/minus signs of the effects and there goes your answer.

Cheers
FD. (the un-real )

EDIT: why does it always take me 30 minutes to type a posting

EDIT2: for nick clarity

Last edited by FlightDetent; 6th May 2005 at 15:24.