PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ MEIR - Any good suggestions
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2005, 08:52
Groundsman Willy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear that appears to have rattled a cage or two. Typical Pprune though you've just got to read between the lines.

Anyway as I said I'm reporting what I experienced and you make your own bad and lie in it, according to me dad.

I have absolutely no idea about history and as I remember from school the only good thing about history is that we should learn from our mistakes.

They've got a pommie guy doing their maintenance now and does it by the book, with two other fellas helping out in their brand new custom built workshop. They've got a guy whose sole purpose is paperwork, legislation and safety - never seen that in the previous two GA companies I've worked with. The Ops manager makes no bones about telling you that safety is critical at every opportunity - if you look after yourself chances are the plane and the passengers will be looked after too. If your not happy dont do it which is how I was taught in the south anyway.

They've lost 4 pilots to Eagle and Air Nelson in the two months I've been there and 3 just before that.....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GA operator who will shaft you if it means making money for them
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this statement even warrant a response.... Yes they are a GA Operator which means they are a business which means they need to make money. If I get a job with them I will get paid. I will get paid about the same as the other light twin IFR operators. I will get paid to fly a plane with two engines on intruments and not a single in the fleet doing VFR tourist flights, been there, done that, thouroughly enjoyed it but need to move on.

And finally.... I admit DIR is no spring chicken (nor am I), she even had a couple of issues while we were training (autopilot control unit decided to trim to limits just for fun - interesting when you disengage) but the money was spent the plane was fixed and we carried on training. If you train in an oldie and can fly on old instruments, fixed card ADF etc. everything else just gets easier.

I am convinced it was the right choice for me - cost, experience, instruction, contacts, and I am sure it'll lead me where I need to go sooner than most.... hopefully.

Happy flying, may we all get there in one piece and with money in our pocket.

GW