PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avro Lincoln crash 1950s?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2005, 01:23
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another extract from memoirs.

On another occasion whilst at CFS, I was doing an Instrument Rating Examiner renewal on an RAF exchange pilot from one of the Lincoln Squadrons at RAAF Amberley. He was wearing a hood to prevent him seeing outside and was flying on limited instruments. One requirement was an ability to recover from unusual attitudes and finding attitudes which might be unusual to Squadron pilots was always a challenge. I took control of the aircraft and applied lots of power while pulling the aircraft into about a 60 degree nose up attitude. With the speed quite low I then pulled the throttles on the left engines which caused the aircraft to go into a rapidly rolling wingover. At this time I handed control back to the poor pilot who was quite unaccustomed to such goings on with a Lincoln. He juggled the power to be symmetric but we continued to roll in an incipient spin until we were almost inverted with the nose dropping though the horizon. I took over again and pulled the nose down further to gain speed whilst rolling back right side up.

Fortunately, the whole manoeuvre was relatively smooth and did not involve negative g, as we discovered later that there was an unsecured bomb winch lying in the rear fuselage.