PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbines 4 Jabirus
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2005, 17:45
Kanga767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope.

The 737 Garrett (Honeywell/Allied Signal) APU is a GTCP-85. Smaller/different core engine. The Allied Signal 131-9 in the 737NG is too far removed.

The GTCP 331 with the 'similar' hot section is in the 767/L1011/A300. It, however, has a load compressor which the TPE version would not be very happy with as well as wrong/simplified fuel system, wrong combustion chamber etc etc.

The THERNODYNAMIC rating of the 331 series is anything from 715 SHP for the -1/-2 to 1000 for the -11/-12, (without water meth!) Not to mention the -14 with 1759 SHP. However, the -10/-11/-12/-14 engines are somewhat redesigned from the APU/pre-century versions.

I can tell you right now that converting the APU model of ANY of these into a turboprop is not as easy as unbolting the accessory gearbox and bolting on a prop gearbox!!!! Bear in mind, APUs are designed to run at ONE speed only, I'd like to see a Jabiru taxied around at 100% RPM on one of these suckers. Don't talk about Beta either, the only aircraft I know approved/designed for Beta in-flight is the DHC-6.

Another thought that comes to mind is that if one did manage to shoehorn something like this into a Jabiru, it would empty the fuel tanks shortly after reaching cruise altitude.

Something that IS believable is that there are some single engined Cessnas modified with Allison 250s flying around the USA. (Which BTW were rated at 420 SHP in the Nomad, but apparently only like 250 sucked out of their backside....) Unlike the Nomad, they are a helicopter version with an external driveshaft to a propeller gearbox.

The next thing you're gonna tell me is that Garrett took the original 747 APU and used it to re-engine business jets.........

Now, can I go back to my 737s??!!

Kanga

PS - I am willing to donate funds and my time/experience on Garretts to a 'Mythbusters' 2 Hour special on this.

Last edited by Kanga767; 5th May 2005 at 01:44.