PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 on 4 off
Thread: 4 on 4 off
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2001, 23:52
jetfueldrinker

I work a system of annualised hours. Roughly (and in the winter it is rough) we work an averaged out 44 hours a week. This is worked out by having three weeks of days, 07:30 - 17:30 for either 4 or 5 days, followed by a week of lates which consists of 15:30 - 23:00 Mon - Thurs, 16:00 - 22:00 Fri. We also work 1 Suturday and 1 Sunday a month while on days. Summer is better with 6 days on, 8 days off for 6 weeks, followed by lates and nights which makes an average of 30 hours a week. I can tell you that in the winter I have no home life, and by early February I am completely drained. The work load has steadily increased over the years and the 'C' checks have continually run on till June or July, and now start in early October. I would much prefer a 4 x 4 shift as you at least have some time off in the winter. I am so knackered that I have turned down so much gobble (that is overtime to the uninitiated)and now don't get asked. But after working 50 hours in one week, can you blame me? Oh yes the bean counters love it, but they also expect you to carry out any domestic admin while you are on your late shift. I could go on, but I will let someone else have a shout.

JFD