PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL admits safety wasn't top priority
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2005, 15:54
eman_resu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N380UA,

Very different situations, the BA 'incident' was a controlled risk all the way through, all be it with a less than optimal outcome I agree. However none if that would have come to light had it not been for the Manchester spotters (and 50 odd pages on the subject in pprune)

However, we have an airline with 1 runway incursion at least this year, (by I believe two senior pilots within the company), several reports of parts falling from aircraft and other problems associated with poor management, poor CRM and endemic cultural issues.

Unfortunately I'm not even sure that a serious incident could change the airline, as whatever happens it will never be their fault, or alternatively some executive will pop out, apologise profusely and return to his desk.

Until the various national bodies, such as the FAA / CAA start to look at the CRM and cultural issues on this airline, and start blocking flights in order to start the change that is required, to avoid an aluminium shower, then the airline will never change.

I think the FAA (for example) should take a longer look at how an airline actually performs on a day to day basis and how it flies in its airspace, rather than specific incidents based around proven, managed SOP's...

and in answer to an earlier post I am personally very familiar with the Japanese disrespect of westerners and western methodology.