PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 3rd May 2005, 13:38
Wino
Union Goon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handsolo said,

As for the LEAST important reason, well I would suggest that after safety, economics is the most important reason for an airline to make any decision.
Well then why are you hauling people? You should be hauling COCAINE! far more profitable. Your second priority after safety is to follow the law. A distant 3rd is economics. Then all other considerations come into effect.

DFC said....
Whay about aircraft in years gone by which shut down engines at cruise to conserve fuel........did the FAA ever have a problem then? - No.
You have to be kidding. I know of no operation where that happens in the civilian world, only P3s on station for the NAVY. I guarantee you if it got out an airline was doing that the FAA would order an emergency revokation of their operating certificate. Maybe you are confusing engine out TAXI on the ground which IS permitted.

Also from handsolo.
In your opinion. The crew involved, BA and the CAA disagree. The decision was technically correct in regard to UK regulations in every respect.
Won't be the first time, but I suspect things are gonna change and in a hurry. (Which is 1,2 years in airline terms) The Insurance company is now aware of this and can you imagine the liability should something have happened? The Insurance company will make this a comercial decision. But this also isn't the first time that BA has been stubbornly on the wrong side of something and then relented. The locked cockpit door comes to mind.

I was arguing for it since my incident over Venice. The Nigel's poopooed it, then the little incident over Africa, and the murder of the JAS captain in flight.... STill poopooed it. Then 9.11 and whadya know, all doors locked....(and much more forcefully, as they should have been done always)

You will come around slowly.

Cheers
Wino