PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North West Strike
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2001, 22:29
WenWe

Redtail - the post on another thread re striking was mine, & was based on personal experience of a 2 week strike at Big Airways in '89.
At the time BA had plenty of licenced 'mangement' Engineers (Foremen/superintendents/tech services etc) who came out of the woodwork & kept the operation going.
Since then even more Licenced Engineers have been put on 'management' contracts & taken off the tools as it were - so the situation would be even more in the co.s favour now.
I didn't say (or mean to say) that defering & NFF'ing defects was acceptable, just that it happened. Anyhow defering iaw the MEL, & 10% variations to checks are all legal & above board(ish).
We were out for just over 2 weeks, it was a complete waste of time & hurt some guys badly financialy. The intent was never there to strike, but the company engineered the situation from an unofficial overtime ban (they suspended 2 guys who refused to work overtime - hence all out in support of them). It suited them down to the ground to have us out on strike.
There was next to no support from any other area within the airline, you appear to be in an enviable position as far as this goes.
If you read some of the other threads about Big Airways there seems to be a lot of discontent, but no shouts for a walk out. Wonder why?
I'm happy tho' - 'cos I walked out years ago. Best thing I did!
Best of luck in your struggle.