PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 2nd May 2005, 19:12
ojay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not say it would fall out of the sky,I referenced weight/ISA conditions and I am well aware of the 2 engine approach on either B747 or A340. however,a 4 engine a/c on 2 is in a less 'flexible' scenario than a twin on 1.The regs are different for 4 engine ops due to the statistical chances of 2 failing
(presumed unlikely).The A340-300 is described by Airbus as 'a well balanced quad' and the V1 cut situation at max weight will give less than sprightly climb performance and a 2 engine failure at V1 -highly unlikely I know-at max weight is only going in one direction(down!)

If one was unfortunate and experienced a double engine failure with a favourable combination of weight/altitude etc I would say that fuel dumping would be a priority after the abnormal checklist.I only wanted to highlight the difference between a 4 engine a/c on 2 and a 2 engine a/c on 1,hence the debate between the regulatory authorities.

Finally,I would not comment on the crew decision making-ultimately everybody walked away and the crew were I am certain v professional -it is not a perfect world out there,

b/rgds