PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 2nd May 2005, 17:27
FLYbyWIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astraeus / FSB / Danfly / Skyblue / Parc / CAE / Gecat / RWL a few of the many just of the top of my head with some producing more cadets then others every single month. However last I heard Ryanair wont take you unless you got significant time on type, the likes of Jet2 or Globespan have preferred routes of taking guys on for example Jet2 just took CTC and OATs APP guys as have Britannia despite the fact they probably have dozens of type rated applicants from various others TRTO's, globespan may prefer to take you from skyblue, Astraeus from Storm and even then they certainly dont need as many as do actually subscribe to the course with them each month and a few of those guys have money to burn on buying block hours. BMI Baby took a few non rated low hours a while ago but obviously preferred to rate them themselves, However in saying all that there is always the odd job/time/place that the rating will pay off but your in the minority, chances increase if you can buy hours but when do you stop spending money- it is an endless pit, but if it lands you that job you will look back and probably care not a jot. As for the 737 guys drying up on the market, I think you can add that along side the myth of a Pilot Shortage just around the corner. A few Years ago it was a HUGE NO NO to do a type rating and now it has become a norm and more and more agencies are springing up with TRTO's to milk us poor bastards for everything and now when talking to people about type ratings because of the amount of people out there with them to distinguish yourself you need experience i.e buy hours.Self Sponsored Type ratings have been around for decades and it carried more weight me thinks ten years ago, five years ago it would distinguish from the crowd and now you need one to nearly join the crowd- a few hundred hours will now get you ahead of the crowd and if your not careful condemed to non aviation related work for the rest of your days paying off bills.
One guy in my local club got a loan for intergrated course and then on top of that another one to pay for a 737 type and at this stage its over 100000euro of a loan with MASSIVE repayments and shortly after Sucessfully landed himself a Jet Job but due to requirement to pay for their Type He "GUESS WHAT" had to turn it down as it was just the breaking point financially for him- What A Pisser. GO for it anyways and have a Plan B to bide your time, Your rating is now on your license but may not be required for years so be patient. I knew another guy who waited nearly 3yrs for a job after his type but when he got it, it was a BBJ.