PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2005, 13:16
Twinact

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tandemrotor,

Wow, what a long post, had to read it 5 or 6 times to work out what you were saying. I'll try to be concise to answer your various points and accusations about my professionalism:

- All aircraft new into service increase their 'capablity' through time, the Mk 2 now has a MAUM nearly 2 tons more than the Mk 1. The initial MAUM was a limit applied in the RTS, giving the aircraft a disposable payload of nearly 5 1/2 tons, 1 ton more than a Merlin has today.

- Not quite sure what you're talking about next when you ramble on about current capability, but my point is that 'it's appalling state in the early part of 1994' is largely the same as it is now. If it was in an 'appalling state' then and nothing has changed since, shouldn't the current fleet be grounded?

- Your decision on entering IMC in the vicinity of high ground below SALT is interesting and you are entitled to it. Can't comment on the attempts to ground an aircraft in the FI, if I read Bertie's post correctly.

- I don't believe I said limitations were 'inconveniences', your words. This was in the context of Arkroyal's earlier quote of 'another escape route that simply did not exist'. My comments were of being faced with the option of exceeding an icing limit or flying in cloud below SALT, I agree remaining VMC is the more 'appealing' option, who wouldn't. I believe that the safer option would be to climb, if you believe that represents a 'cavalier attitude' and 'too experienced to worry about the rule book' so be it.

- While I do not profess to 'know better than those issuing the icing restrictions', I do believe that using the read across between the Mk 1 and Mk 2, in terms of icing clearance, would have been a reasonable risk to take in an emergency situation.

I hope this answers your points.

Last edited by Twinact; 2nd May 2005 at 13:29.