PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lets all Get together
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2001, 23:11
Ali Crom

LBMF , As I'm one of the '40%' ers who work for BA , just thought I'd try to set the record straight . As I'm one of the younger members of the LAE community I & many others like me didn't get the chance to join BALPA as this must have been well before our time . Had we been given this chance we would have jumped ship without a second thought as our current union the AEEU have done very little for us within recent years . For example , the Technicians were given substantial pay awards for gaining the RMA ( Ramp Maintenance Authorisation ) or only 1 of 4 modules of the BMA ( Base Maintenance authorisation ) whereby they had to attend a 3 week basic a/c type course , copy each others 'Personal' experience record books & pass the Quality Dept's oral exam . I've no objection whatsoever that a union should represent it's members & to improve their pay & condition's but after I'd studied my nuts off for 3 years , much of it in my own time & to my expense to pass the LWTR A & C & then later the 2 CRS courses then with 2 a/c type authorisations under my belt & the responsibility that comes with being a full CRS holder I was quite literally only few quid a year better off than them . It was only recently that the company decided to redress the balance with a pay increase for many of the LAE's who weren't at the grade when BA abolished 'type authorisation ' pay . To my knowledge this was not instigated by the AEEU but by the company & I suspect , to try to stem the flow of LAEs leaving for better offers outside. It's my firm belief that the present union only tries to get the best deal for the majority of it's members , the unlicensed ones . This , in my opinion is why we should all join the ALAE for a union which will hopefully represent our interests & give us the recognition & status we really deserve as BALPA does for the pilots.