PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 2nd May 2005, 11:33
marc perkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single Pilot Night VFR NVG EMS Ops

I'm looking for comments, inputs, advice wrt single pilot, night VFR , emergency medical services with the aid of Night Visual Goggles.

We operate AS 350 B2 helicopters in the EMS field in South Africa, and are looking at the possibilities/probability as well as the pro's and cons involved. These are single engine aircraft, night rated (not IFR capable) and have no three axis autopilot or augmentation systems.

I personally have approx. 100 NVG hours as a co-pilot in the military on a Super Puma. This was in a multi engine/multi crew environment, where in most cases the area of operation had been previously inspected by day. The goggles we used then were third generation, and training, competency and the necessary arsenal was not an issue wrt costs involved for training, and competencies. A whole new ball game when compared to a civilian operation.

I have a number of reservations: single engine aircraft (not ideal but manageable); single crew without the redundancy of a check pilot to guard against NVG fixation/dependance ; CFIT as the primary cause of most night heli accidents ; VFR yes but we all now how quickly that can change at night and how unpredictably ; rural areas as opposed to built up areas; non IFR rated aircraft with non IFR rated pilots should adverse Wx present itself ; lack of integrated cockpit lighting for NVG and lack of controllable infra red landing light.

The consideration was originally registered LZ (with lighting), to registered LZ (with lighting). Safety altitude with NVG as a navaid - No Problem. Now the suggestion has been made to respond to road accidents at unprepared LZ's. Different ball game once again.

Existing Part 138 law prohibits non IFR rated aircraft from night EMS operations. However this entire Part is currently under review.

I know that a number of military institutions are operating with NVG in the single crew environment. Are there any operators in the civilian field doing this ? Comments from both military and civilian would be greatly appreciated !

Regards

mp