PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2005, 11:08
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twinact

When you use the term "essentially the same" to describe the relative icing clearances of the Mk1 and Mk2; could you tell us exactly what you mean by the word "essentially"?

Seems a strange word to use. After all, when the MOD spend very many millions of pounds UPGRADING a current type, shouldn't it be at least AS GOOD AS it's predecessor? Wouldn't it be strange if they ended up with something LESS capable!

Oh but then, for some very considerable time, the Mk2 had a much LOWER MAUM than the Mk1 didn't it.

Why was that?

Do you know?

Perhaps it still does! How strange, all those millions of pounds, and a LESS capable aircraft!

I would like to respond in two ways to your post.

Firstly, you would be partly correct if you were seeking to imply that, the interests of many people here, in the SUBSEQUENT development process of the Mk2, largely ended in the summer of 1994.

I for one accept whatever you care to tell me about the CURRENT capabilities, of an aircraft that was introduced into service, in a cavalier manner owing more to the demands of the service, than concern for those flying in it!

Truth is, fortunately for me, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in it's capability now. But you really should not seek to imply that it's current capability has any relevance to it's appalling state in the early part of 1994

I know Flt Lts Tapper and Cook would rather not have been amongst the guinea pigs in those early days!

Secondly:

You asked the question of 'what would I do' regarding breaking the rules and exceeding an icing limit, when there were a number of other options open to me.

I can tell you this: Regardless of ANY icing limit, the LAST place I would wish to put myself in an aircraft that I had very serious (AND VALID) concerns about, would be in cloud. Read Bertie Thruster's post!

I restate, there were other, more appealing options!

I also have to add, that I am rather surprised to read your rather cavalier attitude to such apparent 'inconveniences' as 'limitations.' Clearly you know better than those issuing the icing restrictions. Probably that's why you wouldn't be too concerned about checking the OAT beore committing yourself to IMC!

But then, as a war hero (landing in the desert in zero millilux...etc)and "with your vast knowlegde (sic) of the Chinook", perhaps you are too experienced to worry about the rule book!

Fly safe