PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR 66 Engineer or Technician?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2001, 05:05
The Weasel

Red face

Spannerhead, What's in a name you ask.Well I asked myself that too and it left me wondering why the regulators would be bothering changing the system unless there was an underlying reason.As others have confirmed in this thread, in Germany a degree is necessary to allow you to call yourself an engineer.Presumeably this applies to aircraft engineering as well as generally. If this is the case then the JAA have shown their true hand ie, they have used the term technician to allow a lowering of standards for acceptance into the profession.Huh, so that's their response to the worldwide shortage of engineers.The situation is similar in the UK. OK so we have never had to have a degree to hold an AMEL but look around you...Mechanical and Avionics used to be totally seperate trades.The unions kept each trade apart, such that Avionics would not even dare remove an access panel and Mechanics would not remove a component's electical connector.I did'nt agree with such inefficient use of personnel,but the situation has changed so much and so suddenly as to be dangerous. Up until recently avionic extensions were very rare and only to be used away from base. Now all of a sudden, just in time for June 1st everyone and his dog has got one, after a one week or so course.( The dog was an intended pun, as a few years ago during the previous engineer shortage, a certain newspaper printed the story that a certain airline employed dog handlers for aircraft maintenance).There is no way that Avionics can be learnt in such a short time with experience to have been gained in addition to carrying out your usual full day's responsibilities. The subject is a career in itself.The problem is compounded by some peoples lack of integrity in allowing themselves to falsify their experience, all helped along by the fast approaching June 1st.
The authorities are probably patting themselves on the back for 'resolving' the engineer shortage by making us all dual trade, spreading us even more thinly.
Spannerhead, if you are clearing off dump valves then at least you only have to suffer s**t up to your elbow's.The way things are going at present, you are about to get it legislated onto you from a great height by your own regulatory authority! I have heard rumours that the next scam is to be a possible reduction in the need for duplicate inspections. Who Knows what else they have up their sleeves to ensure that supply & demand does not come into play and get us a pay rise.