PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR 66 Engineer or Technician?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2001, 06:23
The Weasel

Question JAR 66 Engineer or Technician?

Vintage ppruner's have probably read all this before,but please bear with me for the sake of us newer members.
It is rumoured that the reason the JAA are re-titling Engineers to Technicians is to align terminology with other engineering industries.I have heard that from June 1st we are NOT allowed to call ourselves Engineers unless we hold a degree in the subject. Can anyone confirm this?
If standardisation is the reason,then can we assume that planning and quality Engineers etc will also have to align with this standard? Will maintenance organisations & manufacturers have to rewrite all their procedures & manuals to reflect the new terminology?
It does seem strange that change of terminology should be a priority for regulators of an industry so rife with maintenance violations (some of which can be read about in pprune, no less).However, rather than challenging those paid far more than me, I shall demonstrate my apparent interest by asking how this will affect me when using such items as an Engineer's square and Engineer's blue. Do I now have to call in someone from an office, with a degree, to mark out repair cut lines etc, or will these items have their descriptions changed to align with the new standard?
Lastly, suppose my wife has to call the service centre because the new washing machine has croaked.Should she expect an Engineer or Technician to attend? It seems unlikely that anyone who has taken the trouble to educate themselves to degree standard would be swanning around in a van doing houshold appliance repair callouts.

[This message has been edited by The Weasel (edited 09 March 2001).]