PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jessica Starmer - BALPA's view (Update - Appeal decision)
Old 2nd May 2005, 06:25
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Ms Starmer’s case, I’m reminded of the classic Joe Heller novel ‘Catch 22’ – (which, coincidentally, was about a character who didn’t want to fly). When Yossarian tells the USAAF shrink (and anyone else who’ll listen) that he doesn’t want to fly any more combat missions, he is asked: “But what if everyone thought that way? We wouldn’t be able to fight the war.”

Yossarian replies “Then I’d be mad not to think the same, wouldn’t I?.”

Transpose this purposely absurd situation to BA and today and ask yourself “What if everyone wanted to fly a 50% roster? The airline wouldn’t be able to operate - at least economically.” (I’m standing by for the protests from those who don’t seem to care about the last word in that sentence as long as they have their ‘rights’ protected and improved. My reply to such protestations would include the words ‘golden goose’ and ‘cooked’.)

Many may not understand the depths of feeling this topic has brought glaringly to the surface in so many of us. Most of us, (even those who were the incredibly lucky ones – like Ms Starmer – and were sponsored), feel we worked very hard to be accepted into a flag carrier airline. Along the way, we all knew far too many incredibly hard working and committed people who put in as much if not more effort and did not make the grade – (and not always because of lack of ability). We also know too many people who, if given the opportunity Ms Starmer has been given, would grasp it with both hands and give their employer a fair return for his investment.

Given the expense of initial – and continuation/recency – training, I wouldn’t think there’d be too many who believed the company’s demand that the employee gain 2000 hours - approximately three years on the job – before being granted a 50% roster was unreasonable.