PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To CPL or not to CPL? And and where??
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2005, 07:14
Boney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was in your position mate, forget about doing it as a career. However if that is where your heart really is - well that's another story.

Buy yourself a nice machine (C-182RG/Arrow/Trinidad etc.) and work out a way to work it into your business so you can use those scumbags down the road in Canberra to help with those expensive 100hrly's via tax. Then you can afford the best of both worlds.

One thing alot of private pilots don't realise is, generally speaking, the only nice GA aircraft in this country are privately owned ones. 90% of working piston aircraft in Oz are, yes, legally airworthy, but buckets of $hit - I know 'cause I fly 'em. The majority rolled out of a factory during the time the Beatles were still making music and have been flogged ever since.

And you will be flying these things if you choose a career, in bad weather/ night etc and paid the same or less money than a cleaner for the priveledge. If you are unlucky to have an unreasonable boss, he/she won't understand it is very difficult to operate effectively with out-dated, worn out equipment.

Imagine trying to run a taxi company with HQ Holdens and XW Falcons. Can become very frustrating for all concerned - funny how it is often the pilot though that is "crunt of the month" because of it.

But there are some good people out there to work for - am currently working at a company where pretty much none of the above occurs but still, the newest piston twin is a 1970 model.

Think long and hard - hey, we might see you on here whinging like the rest of us in a few years but don't say we didn't warn ya!