PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wages of Aircraft Maintenance Tecnician
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2000, 02:26
The Weasel

Enrique, I fully agree with you about working to the manuals and company procedures at all times. However I have always tried to uphold this standard and found some serious brick walls.The management always seem to fail to get the aircraft washed properly for inspections and for corrosion inhibitor application,they seem unable to provide an adequate and timely supply of spares and tools/equipment etc. They never give you enough time to clean the aircraft to the required standard yourself. When you do record a significant defect which is fully justifiable they still argue that its within limits. When you dig your heels in and refuse to action a job which cannot be done to the published standard, they say they will get night shift to do it.There is always someone who will cut corners to get in favour with the Managers because thats how they get first options for overtime and improved chances for promotion.If you continue to uphold the standards you soon make a bad name for yourself and some of the shop floor cowboys then refuse to work for you for fear of being reported for substandard practices.I have even found that some of the union officials unofficially support cutting corners as they say the only way to keep jobs is to stay competitive and if you work to the book you will never get an aircraft out of the hangar.When discussing possible action for a pay rise the union officials will not consider a work to rule as they say nobody would be able to stick to it as they dont even know the full extent of what that would entail.I still havent worked out how we in the business of preventative maintenance should ever NOT be working to rule! Basically we are stuffed from above and below in the position of an LAE.