PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 29th Apr 2005, 21:28
Smokie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arcniz,

I coundn't agree more. Trying to present the evidence is a little more of a challenge. As no airline would want anyone snooping around with equipment on their aircraft that had not been authorised by themselves.

As far as I know, BA are the only ones prepared to have some sort of monitoring by their crews. The problem is a world wide issue unfortunately.

I for one, would take the results of the DFT survey with a very large pinch of salt.

These were controlled experiments OK, but on fully servicable aircraft, the best the airlines concerned could muster at the time.
Only one sector per aircraft was recorded, with exception of 2 flights that were return flights, so out of the 12 planned flights 14 sets of recordings were actually taken.

The 146 was chosen and quite rightly so.
The 757 should have been the next candidate but for reasons only known to themselves, the 737 was chosen instead.
Hardly a comprehensive survey in my book.

Had the experiment been done on aircraft that had a history of Cabin Air problems, and there are many; then the results would have certainly made a positive contribution.