PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gear fails - Put down on grass or tar?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2005, 19:36
Flyer Flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this one count?

Pic shows two very relieved companions after the landing. Plus member of firecrew disconnecting the battery for safety.

I chose the grass next to the tarmac and found that the aircraft came to a stop very quickly in only a few yards. I would not have liked to have been skidding down the tarmac runway and developed a sideways motion. I did get the airport staff to check out the condition of our chosen landing area which seemed very good. Also shut down both engines.
Having not blocked the runway, the hard part was now removing the aircraft without damaging it. This we did by placing a skid beneath it (metal sheet) and dragging it away to the hangar, much preferable to a JCB to clear runway!
ATC were very helpful during planning, no hint of being sent away! AAIB were most amused when I phoned to report the event, as they already knew everything. It was very rare they said that they are phoned two hours prior to an accident by ATC to inform them that one was going to occur! Well,.. other than all my normal flights
So grass or tarmac ? I still do not know which way I will go next time. Best to fit your plan to the circumstances each time.
Cheers
FF

Last edited by Flyer Flier; 29th Apr 2005 at 20:13.