PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving Sywell
Thread: Leaving Sywell
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2005, 12:49
david viewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck at lovely Sibson! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, sliding in over those trees until any runway more than 2500' seemed just ostentatious!

I do hope that no-one will take exception to this word of advice from one who has made the trip from Northampton to Sibson hundreds, if not thousands of times: do take care on the A605. I hate to admit it, but those speed cameras are there for a reason.

Long ago, when traffic was much lighter than today, my visits often involved leaving work early and flying in the evening. This meant I would catch up with the school bus, which stopped outside various isolated houses on the A605, including a little terrace just to the N of Oundle, a place that you will come to recognise. At this stop, a child would emerge from the bus and cross to his home on the other side of the road. I always thought that this was a dangerous exercise and took care to move past the bus if it was stopped there at the slowest speed, just in case.

You can imagine the devastating, sickening horror with which I read one day that this young boy had been killed by a speeding car at that very spot.

It's often said (probably wrongly) that driving to the airport is the most dangerous part of flying. On the A605, it definitely is. Please take care. Sorry if this seems patronising, but it's well intentioned.