PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Profit Share
Thread: EK Profit Share
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2005, 07:46
Dirigible

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work if you can get it, the sad fact is that the majority of the menial work done in Dubai is by third world nationals who are paid a pittance, housed in labour camps, have passports confiscated and are often not paid on time, if at all for months. Every day there are fresh stories of abuse, in the local press, by employers. Good luck to the blokes who are able to make it pay, the local practice of paying according to nationality would be illegal in the civilised world. Corruption runs deep at all levels(as seen by the abrupt resignation of the regulator at the new DIFC) and by the common practice of insider trading on the local markets (closed to foreigners apart from a few stocks). The property boom has a lot to do with money laundering and as we so well know at EK the workers have no representation or rights. A lady can get locked up for 3 weeks without a hearing for having prescription Codeine in her urine, and a maid flogged and deported for an illicit liaison whereas prostitution is ripe and the biggest knocking shop in the Middle East is a short taxi ride away. I may be cynical and disenchanted, but in the relatively short time I have been here this is the sorry impression I have...