PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Type II
Thread: ICAO Type II
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2001, 11:26
Brakeson

There is obviously a jungle when it comes to licences and typeratings in different parts of Europe. The LWTR that you have in the UK is not something taht is issued bu the swedish CAA. There are no such things as a licence without typerating in Sweden. The closest we get to anything equivalent is a diploma from the Aviation University College which includes 12 to 15 different subjects depending on if you are going for a helicopter type in the future or not. The subjects are everything from science of engineering and building materials, via avionics and electrics to physics and mathematics. The coarse takes about one year full time study. Before this, there are two years (quite new, before it was one year) of aviation upper secondary school. It is an education which basically includes the same subjects as the earlier mentioned, but is more shallow.
After these three years you can get a typerating coarse on a specific aircraft. This coarse leads to a ICAOII licence and that is not limited to any particular parts of the aircraft but includes everything.
Now, this is the old way to the ICAO certificate but from what i have heard (rumers) the students today who aim for a JAR66 gets off the hook a bit easier.
I am almost sure that there will be some arguments from fellow engineers who will say "no, this is the way i did it" refering to part time studies and different shortcuts, but this is how you usually go from scratch to licence the way i did.
I guess the task to take every licence in Europe and make one big of them is not that easy. There will never be a full satisfactory situation for everyone, but from my point of wiew i think that i come out quite well with the conversion to JAR66. On the other hand, from what i have heard and seen there is just no way in hell that i could measure my skills whith a brittish CAA MultiX regardless of what my JAR66 licence states.
Well, this was a long one but i just had to kill some time.