PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town Runway closed again - the debacle continues
Old 28th Apr 2005, 12:53
EX-ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GFJ

Chill out !! At least we did things by the book. I'm glad to see that the attitude of the controller is always right is still alive and well. I surely hope your knowledge on contolling procedures and the SSIs are better than your knowledge on Navaids and ICAO rules.

Yes, the Thales series of equipment can do the checks via the RMMS as installed in CT by using the farfield monitor that's installed on the aerodrome, but the requirement from ICAO cleary stipulates that you need to do daily runway CL checks in order to confirm that your monitors are correct. If you don't do that, how will you confirm if your monitor is still accurate. Get ATNS HQ to send you the ICAO requirements as incorporated into the ATNS document asap. Maybe to include it as part of the CT SSIs (Not to be personal but maybe some of the junior ATCs can learn something that can enhance their already superior knowledge of the bigger aviation picture)

Rumour has it that the monitor parameters were adjusted (wider)after the first flight calibration in order to try and stop the system from switching off as a result of the technical problem.

If you don't understand the phrase of going to the vet for heart surgery in the right context, please don't show your stupidity on the net.

The question still is WHY ATNS HAVE A MAINTENANCE CONTRACT WITH A THIRD PARTY CPY THAT'S NOT EVEN QUALIFIED TO WORK ON THE SYSTEM (none of their personnel are trained on the system) AND HAS NO AGREEMENT IN PLACE WITH THE EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER IN ORDER TO GET SPARES AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT WHEN NEEDED???? - MAYBE ITS JUST A RUMOUR.

I don't expect you to have the answers since you are just a shift worker for ATNS.